BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

by dw817
Cart #mgst-1 | 2019-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS CART in Pico-8, from immediate mode type:

load #mgst

UPDATE (12-30-19): web address

Metal Gear Solid was an incredible and groundbreaking 3-dimensional stealth game for the Sony Playstation released in the states back in 1998. Not only was it an incredible and challenging game the graphics for its time were nothing short of miraculous if you didn't count Final Fantasy 7.

This then is my tribute to the opening story, where Snake has infiltrated the lower levels, made it to the elevator, reaches the top and is at a secret base in Alaska where he is contacted by CODEC which stimulates the small bones in his ear of his mission and target.

Metal Gear is a copyrighted product of KONAMI.

For more information on this company and this superb game, go here.

Please enjoy my Metal Gear Solid tribute, for the Pico-8 Fantasy Console system.

P#71552 2019-12-30 21:04 ( Edited 2019-12-30 23:12)

Hey, i'm new to pico 8, been really enjoying making games in it. I was wondering does anyone know if it is at all possible to release and sell pico 8 games on steam? even if through the usual methods such as steam labs. If not if anyone has any further knowledge around this subject it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

P#71551 2019-12-30 20:46

Cart #alfredo-2 | 2019-12-31 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

My entry to the first #ToyBoxJam is, a PICO-8 remake of...
Alfredo's Stupendous Surprise!
(Originally created by Tom Hall & John Romero - for Softdisk Issue #98)

I made it as best as I could, within the jam limitations
(e.g. only using pre-defined assets!)

CONTROLS:

Choose options (when prompted) = ◀ / ▶
X or Z to Start/Select

GAME:

Alfredo's back in this PICO-8 remake, especially for #ToyBoxJam
and has he got a surprise for you! 🥳🎉

• Will Alfredo get to his house?
  • Will he get to blow out the candles on his cake?
  • Will he die in some horrible death?
  • Play his latest adventure and find out!

Have fun & thanks for playing! 😁

Release History

• v1.0
    • Initial Release
  • v1.1
    • FIX: Bug with 10 Ton weight (thx Tom!)
    • FIX: Co-routine bug on last screen (thx again, Tom!)
P#71549 2019-12-30 20:02 ( Edited 2019-12-31 16:03)

Cart #food_trail-1 | 2019-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart Full Name: Food Trail!
Alias on Itch.io it was submitted under: vapidvial
Cart Name on Lexaloffle: food_trail-1

Instructions:
Use arrows to move/interact and the X key to throw food(considering you already have some).

Food Trail! is a game where the player has to attract as many monsters as he can with food to follow him to their umm... ask the sad standing monster! You have to keep them full or else they may lose their way, indefinitely! Also, some monsters taste better than others, according to a particular individual, so choose your monsters wisely.

This is my entry for #TOYBOXJAM, hope you like it!

P#71542 2019-12-30 18:22

Made for Toybox Jam 2019

Cart #chalice_of_the_gods-0 | 2019-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#71530 2019-12-30 15:29

Cart #cecioofthevalley-0 | 2019-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

So this is my toyboxjam entry. It's my first attempt at a jam and my first complete game. Kinda excited I must say :)
Let me know what you think.

Launcher infos:
Cart Full Name: Cecio of the Valley [ToyBoxJam 2019] / ID: #cecioofthevalley
Alias on Itch.io it was submitted under: damngoodcocoa
Cart Name on Lexaloffle: cecioofthevalley-0

Itch.io infos
https://damngoodcocoa.itch.io/cecio-of-the-valley

How to play:

• arrow keys: moves player around
  • z: action key
  • x: speed up texts

Have fun!

P#71524 2019-12-30 10:08

My submission for Tom's ToxBoxJam 2019. It was a lot of fun! In the end I neither had the time nor the tokens to do everything I wanted to. But hey, I got it done in time! Hope you enjoy.

Cart #ghostronaut_max_tbj2019-0 | 2019-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Info for the Launcher:
Cart Full Name: Max [ToyBoxJam 2019] / ID: #ghostronaut_max_tbj2019-0
Alias on Itch.io it was submitted under: ghostronaut
Cart Name on Lexaloffle: ghostronaut

Itch.io:
https://ghostronaut.itch.io/max-toyboxjam-2019

P#71520 2019-12-30 08:31 ( Edited 2019-12-30 08:33)

Years ago there were only a handful of personal computers out there. The Apple ][ computer is the one I especially remember fondly.

In this I have created the "Applecart." A series of programming events that take old Apple ][ games and refurbish them written in Pico-8. And it's not just by one person.

Every Sunday I have given my team a challenge to write a particular Apple ][ game as well as they can in Pico-8. The only stipulation is it must follow the flow of the original game and try to keep the original sound effects if at all possible. Although creativity is definitely encouraged.

For instance I had remembered one game that I played by reading it off of audiocassette that had a UFO that played a sound that got lower in pitch the lower to the screen it was and higher, the higher it was. It would randomly shoot out a laser and try to hit the player. So the challenge was to hit the UFO fast and hard before the timer gave out, and there were a few ways you could play.

Either wait until the UFO was at the top of the screen where it rarely fired and then just peg it constantly, or wait until it comes low and dangerous and then try to sneak a shot in for higher points knowing that each time you were hit you lost 5-seconds of time.

You also could not fire your laser if you missed hitting your target until the UFO fires again. So it was definitely a strategy game.

And also if you did hit the UFO, you had to get out of there in a hurry as there was always retribution with him firing back. Thus like the original game it has the same controls. A paddle joystick or in this case, your mouse.

. . .

This week (12-29-19) we have the entries. While I couldn't find an exact Youtube video of it there was still one member who wanted to take a crack at it. Please enjoy:

(Destructoid) by Chizel9000

P#71515 2019-12-30 01:39 ( Edited 2020-01-05 23:27)

Cart #tbj_launcher-10 | 2020-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TOY BOX JAM LAUNCHER

Here is the launcher for TOY BOX JAM!

All the games are here! Choose your cart with arrows then press X to launch it.

You can get back to the Launcher by pressing RETURN (Pause Menu) and choosing "Back to Launcher".

SHOUT OUT TO ZEP! His last minute heroics fixed some small issues and lets the launcher work perfectly! Thanks, Zep!

Have fun with the games/tech demos/stories/experiences!

Also, good things come to those who wait..... ;^)

P#71510 2019-12-29 22:42 ( Edited 2020-01-02 05:45)

FIRST GAME - DESTRUCTOID - WIP

Cart #destructoid-0 | 2019-12-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
<br>
You have 60 seconds to score as high as u can.
My first game in Pico8. Made as a challenge from another.
Perhaps I will post more info later...
Built using ZEP collision example.
Still a few minor bugs to fix...
MEANWHILE my top score is 4000.
Give it a shot?

P#71504 2019-12-29 19:45 ( Edited 2019-12-29 19:48)

Cart #grokemanstoyboxtournament-0 | 2019-12-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#71505 2019-12-29 19:44

Cart #spaghettiforever-2 | 2020-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls: arrows to grate, X to move to next screen (and skip Hollywood production values intro cinematic)

Hello!

This is my entry for the #ToyBoxJam! The idea is, you're given a set of sprites/sounds/music/code example and you have to make a game out of them. There's a lot of stuff, from characters to items, weapons, map stuff and visual effect. I decided to make cheese.

One more thing: I went for a self-imposed challenge and avoided using any function that draws on screen, even though stuff like rect() and line are allowed. Any graphical thingie you see is a stretched palette swapped sprite – and boy was that fun. I mean hard. Really really fun.

My submission is also on itch.io at this link, and my name on the website is MrMandolino. Cart name: spaghettiforever

(there's one nasty bug in the podracing level that I can't replicate and happens rarely... loud groan)

P#71499 2019-12-29 17:22 ( Edited 2020-01-01 18:43)

Cart #azurefunctions_0-1 | 2020-01-21 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi all, I just started with PICO-8 a couple of days ago and I'm enjoying myself a lot with this platform. I'm creating a simple game to collect items. The theme is work related (Azure Functions) so it's more of a gimmick than an actual game to achieve a goal. I do plan to put more work into this and make it more exciting. This is my version of an 'Hello World' game :).

P#71498 2019-12-29 16:43 ( Edited 2020-01-21 19:08)

Cart #sfxtelm-1 | 2019-12-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

PICO-8 Telmin!

CONTROLLS

• mouse button: PLAY SFX
  • Z / X : Change waveform(0~7) and custom instruments(8~15)
  • mouse wheel : Change SFX Duration

old version

Cart #sfxtelm-0 | 2019-12-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

CONTROLLS

• mouse button: PLAY SFX
  • LEFT/RIGHT : Change waveform(0~7) and custom instruments(8~15)

P#71497 2019-12-29 16:07 ( Edited 2019-12-30 08:23)

Cart #pajanebunu-0 | 2019-12-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My very first cart

The original code is from Game Developement with Pico 8 zine - pg 52, 53. I am not smart enough to create this from scratch, just tweeked it a bit.

If I can figure out how to update a cart I'll add controllers eventually.

This experience makes me really thankful for HTML and everything else I dont have to write from scratch.

To do

• color selector
  • controllers
  • randomize button
  • cursor
  • tiles?
  • with collistions?????????
P#71487 2019-12-29 06:40 ( Edited 2019-12-29 21:05)

fmc
by dw817
Cart #fmc-0 | 2019-12-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TO LOAD THIS CART in Pico-8, type:

load #fmc

Pico-8 has the ability of setting any of 8-flags for a single tile or sprite from the spritesheet.

For instance, if you created a sprite which was the very first, number 0, and turned on flags 1 and 2, then if you used FGET(0) you would get back 3 as each flag counts as a power of 2, binary.

So this program is pretty powerful what it does.

It will return ALL collisions of a sprite around objects and return their flags. For instance in this example you can easily cross over tiles that have no flags set or the first flag is set (the shazy tiles), but it will not let you cross any tiles that have the 2nd or higher flags set, a wall.

If you are already on top of a tile that has the first flag set and attempt to then cross over into a tile that has the second flag set, you will get back the value 3 and movement will still be prohibited.

This collision function also allows free movement, that is you do not need to jump from one tile to another in steps of 8-pixels nor do you need to move only along a tight 8x8 grid. No, in fact you can freely move including diagonally and slide right along the walls into openings and out of and still return the correct values for collision.

HOPE THIS HELPS !

P#71476 2019-12-28 20:02 ( Edited 2019-12-28 20:03)

Cart #womaporeba-0 | 2019-12-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Uhh. Mix Peggle and Nethack and you have Foozle Quest. It's not done and the code is a couple of years old but I am trying to get back into dev in my spare time. I've narrowed it down to doing a Roguelike in Rust (thanks Bracket!) or jumping back on to PICO-8 games. Help me decide.

Thanks for reading! :)

P#71469 2019-12-28 18:44

Cart #hetasezufu-0 | 2019-12-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here's my take on Threes in a similar style to that of my 2048.

P#71467 2019-12-28 18:01

(Applies to verison 0.1.12d rcsd)

1. Lua's 'tostring' function is exposed now. It converts things to strings differently than tostr, including printing a table's address in memory.

2. After doing "install_demos()" or "install_games()", something seems to go majorly wrong with pico-8. All nils become... nulls?!
    You can see this by trying to print a non-existing global/table value which would normally print [nil], but now prints [(null)].
    What is the type of a null? It's a null, too! (No, not the string "null" - but a null object itself)
    (It's clearly not a legal lua value)

You can see the above oddities via my https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=36381 cart, if you'd like.

P#71448 2019-12-28 02:32 ( Edited 2019-12-28 09:11)

Cart #spezkhe-1 | 2019-12-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I fixed all of the bugs that were present in v0.1 and added a title screen and sound effects.
Gameplay should be identical to the original. Let me know if this is not the case.
I am going to put this project aside for now, so this will be the last version for a while.

P#71440 2019-12-27 19:05 ( Edited 2019-12-27 19:28)
View Older Posts